Monday, May 18, 2009

Totally Tube-ular

Yup!  You guessed it!  Owen is about to embark on a journey that seems to be every young achondroplasics rite of passage….he needs tubes!

Owen had his first ear infection at the end of January.  We had his ears tested by my sister-in-law Linda who is an audiologist (her practice is Advanced Audiology in DeWitt, MI) and there seemed to be a lot of fluid in his ears.  His tympanogram report was flat in one ear and almost flat in another.  A look around showed quite a bit of fluid and even some blood. His pediatrician put him on Claritin for a month to see if that would dry up the fluid and we got a referral to an ENT.

While on the Claritin, he seemed to be doing better.  He was imitating whatever we said, which he previously wouldn’t really do.  He was talking much more and was saying new words everyday.  However, today the latest typanogram test show no improvement!

We don’t have a date scheduled yet but we’ll see.  My nephew Drew had tubes and apparently the procedure is relatively easy. I know this is the right thing though.  Hell, at this point, I think he’s one of the only kids, short statured or average, who doesn’t have tubes. 

Here’s how random my subconscious is.  When the doc told me Owen needed tubes, the song “She’s a Beauty” popped into my head and I had no idea why.  Turns out it’s a song by…The Tubes!  Hahaha!  How in the hell did I file that away in my mental Rolodex when I was 5?!  Don’t think  I’d leave you hanging on this either.   Here’s the video.  The Tubes “She’s a Beauty” 

 

Owen and  his best buddy George

IMG_3492 IMG_3487

IMG_3488 IMG_3490

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

I know you're my daughter and all but you totally crack me up! The Tubes!? Good grief. I vaguely remember you and Anne doing interpretive dance in the living room to that tune. And then there's Owen. How does one boy get to be quite that cute!? Love that sweet little face in the last picture.

Danielle said...

Hey Cat! Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head. Now when I can't sleep tonight I'll be sure to log on and say thanks. :)

Pey had her tubes in last summer...I was a nervous wreck but it went great! So fast too, we couldn't believe it when he said she was done. Her's were the same...her tympanograms were pretty much flat on her tests, with lots of fluid. The way I knew they helped was that her balance was much better right afterwards. Good luck to Owen-I'm sure it will be fine! Oh-and she didn't even seem to be in any pain afterwards either!
I love the pics...Peyton is often seen missing her pants too. Actually lately her shirts have been coming off as well - I think I'm running a kiddie nudist camp down here!

Unknown said...

Cute pics of Owen as always. Aidan does not have tubes so I guess he is one of the few. Things will go smoothly, I am sure. Oh, and the Tubes..."She's a Beauty"...love the song. Thanks for making me feel old...I was in High School when the song came out...not 5..ha ha ha.

Destini said...

Hell, Trace is on his second set of tubes, I think the first set went in around 9 mos. Does Owen snore too, might want to talk to the ENT about getting rid of the adnoids at the same time - Trace had that done last November and it was a huge improvement in the snoring and snot production department. The tubes only take about 15 actual minutes, and minus the bear that Owen will be waking up from the anesthesia, he'll be fine in a couple hours and ready to rock N roll!

Caden and Mommy said...

Owen is so cute with his friend George! The tube procedure should go fine :0) Although Caden STILL gets ear infections with tubes~go figure!
You are too silly with that song - so random!

Unknown said...

Super cute pics of Owen! Love him with his friend George. I agree with the others, the tube surgery itself is a piece of cake, but the whole process is still not easy for a mama! Seamus' speech progressed in leaps and bounds as soon as the fluid was removed and he could hear properly - it was amazing!

Laura Wolf said...

Love the pictures. He is so cute!! It must be hard to get George away from him. My boy has a "lovey" too.

Tonya said...

Okay, so my y thought is....it's about damn time! ;-)

He will breeze through it easily! I am about to go tubey on our ENT to have Knoah's second set placed before NYC!

Owen is as adorable as ever!! Miss you guys!!

Mommy3 said...

Owen is adorable with his curious George buddy. I love it when kids pick one thing to carry around most of the time. So sweet.

Everything Evelyn said...

So sorry to see that tubes are next. I am glad we were able to keep evaluating him to show a repeated pattern of dysfunction. This should make us feel more comfortable in knowing that tubes are indeed the next appropriate step. -- Dr. Aunt Linda

Becky said...

What a sweetheart! I just love those chubby achon legs! Good luck with the tubes!