Sunday, July 27, 2008

Well Charted Territory

Thanks to everyone who offered their stories and thoughts about the last post. It was especially nice to hear from Julie (finally!) It's nice to feel that I'm not alone. Sometimes you throw these things out there and are never sure if people will think you are insane or brilliant. Although, I always love to think it's the latter, I'm hoping it's somewhere in between the two.

Owen had a well check at his new pediatrician's last week (our previous ped retired) and here are the latest stats.
At 17 months old, Owen is 28 3/4th inches, 22.5 lbs with a head circumference of 52.5cm. Just to give a little perspective as to where that puts him on the growth charts I've plotted him so that you can get a visual!
*Copyright Information*
These charts are copyrighted by the American Academy of Pediatrics
Ok, what you are looking at here are the charts for males with achondroplasia. The charts also include average height curves so that you can plot simultaniously. The grey area is average height and the unbroken lines are the achondroplasia curve. The height and circumference is in centimeters and weight is in kilograms. Here are the links in case you would like to examine further
Health Supervision for Children with Achondroplasia.

Owen seems to be falling in about the 75th percentile for height on the achondroplasia chart.

His head size is a little below the 50th percentile in his chart and off the pin heads - ahem - I mean average size baby charts. Sorry average height babies, that was a cheap shot!

I'll be honest. I don't really know what is going on in this chart. He's kind of in the middle so I'm assuming that's good. You're on your own with this one.

There were 2 shocking parts about Owen's measurements. #1 - He kinda had a growth spurt! His last measurement at 14 months was 27 inches. Almost 2 inches in 3 months is significant considering that he has grown 10 inches over the span of his entire life. Shocking fact #2 - He has only gained 5 ounces since March. He's thinning out! This is something I never thought would happen. OK, let me rephrase that. I'm not saying I thought he would stay his wonderful squishy self forever, I just thought the thinning out growth spurts were reserved for average height kids. At this point, I've pretty much gotten used to his growth progressing by fractions of inches so anything over an inch was a pleasant surprise.

In other news, I finally made an appointment with Dr. Pauli. Dr. Pauli is the former Chairman for the LPA Medical Advisory Board and commenly acknowledged as the doc du jour for little people. He is based in Wisconsin but has satellite offices in Akron, OH and Grand Rapids, MI. We will be seeing him in Grand Rapids sometime in October. We got the chance to meet him at the National Conference and thought he was great! He was actually surprised that there was an infant with dwarfism in Michigan that he hasn't seen!

Other upcoming appointments: Sleep study re-do in September. His Dec '07 study was inconclusive so we are doing it again. I should say, Dan is doing it this time. Once was enough for me! We have another MRI in October. His first MRI showed some narrowing of the foramen magnum and enlarged ventricles. Our neurologist recommended have another MRI in 6 months, so we will go back to poke around a bit. October will also be his first real orthopedic appointment. We had a consult in May, but will go back for X Rays and a full exam in the now very busy upcoming months.

I know I promised more Drew and Owen pictures, but I left my camera at my cousins so they will have to wait. I can however, tide the picture-lovers over with shots from our outing at the Grand Blanc Splash Pad!

Splash pad buddies, Drew, Owen and Blake

16 comments:

Becky said...

Hi Cat! Owen is precious! I think you'll love Dr. Pauli, we do! Peggy who works with him is great too! The last chart you were unsure about was the weight to height ratio. That was the one Dr. Pauli told us was the most important. The fact that Owen is in the middle is good news. Would you mind if I add a link to you on our blog?

Becky - Olivia's mom

Danielle said...

Love the pictures! That's great how you posted the charts...I think it helps explain to people what on earth we mean when we are saying "on the achon chart/on the average height chart." Peyton's head is just below the 50th as well, and her height is somewhere around the 75th. It always flucuates based on who does the measuring it seems!
And I don't blame you one bit for having Dan do the second sleep study...those aren't fun!

Jennifer said...

Owen will always be in the 100th%ile for wonderfulness and perfection on the Grandma and Grandpa Merciez charts!

Jennifer said...

PS. Isn't that Drew a cute little bugger too! We are the luckiest of grandparents for sure!

Kim said...

I want to jump through the computer and bit on Owen's arms! Just love him! Sounds like he is doing fabulous with his growing! I am taking Preston to the geneticist on the 6th and I cannot wait to see how he has grown since that is the only person who can measure him correctly!
Pictures were crazy adorable! Glad to have you back posting!

Anonymous said...

Cat,

Sounds like he is doing great! I love the photos of him. Especially the one where he is showing off his bod. Good luck with all of the appointments you have coming up.

Amanda

Mike Mallinson said...

Woohoo! Hooray for growth spurts! Looks like he had a blast at the waterpark, too. Thanks for the pics!

Becky said...

Hi Cat,

I already changed our blog. Sorry, you just add us and then I change it! We just wanted it to be more about our family for when we have more children down the road.

Becky - Olivia's mom

Sarah said...

Sounds like Owen is doing great, which we already knew :) that's exciting about his growth spurt! Dr. Pauli is great. We just saw him the week after the conference and just love him. He's so good at what he does. The pictures are great too! Can't wait to see more!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Look at that budha belly! Too cute! Way to grow Owen! It's funny bc us LP parents get so excited over an inch or two, but that is HUGE for our little tikes! We go next week for Cole's 12 month check-up and I'm curious as to how much he has grown.

Caden and Mommy said...

Cat!
Great pictures ... I love that achon belly!
That is so awesome that Dan is willing to do the next sleep study with Owen, KUDOS! - my Dan would never agree to that!
Trisha

Kim said...

Well if your family is coming to Grand Rapids in October I sure hope you will let me take you guys out to lunch! I would love to meet that handsome boy in person! I also wanted to let you know that although I don't post a ton of comments, I look at your blog everyday in hopes of new Owen stories and pictures! LOL You are truly blessed! :)
Kim

Unknown said...

The pics are great! Good luck with the sleep study and congrats on the growth spurt!

Chris and Emily said...

Hi -I believe you commented on my blog months ago. While, I have visited your blog a few times I am really just now getting back into the swing of things and catching up on contacts, emails, etc. Owen is Precious with a capital P!! I love checking in on him and to see how he is doing. We have our first orthepedic appt. next week as well as our first MRI. We'll see how that goies. Also, been doing some Dr. Pauli research - there are no skeletal dysplasia "experts" here.

Destini said...

As always extra cute picture of Owen! Way to grow too!

Lisa said...

Wow! Owen looks cute as can be. I remember thinking Liz would always have that chubby belly too, but sure enough she's thinned out too. Too funny!
Sounds like the summer's been lots of fun.