Monday, November 10, 2008

Catching up with Oboe Part One: Outsourcing Parenting Duties

I know, I know. Once again, I've been conspiciously absent from the blogging world. No good excuse other than just being very, very busy. Hmmm...I suppose I should tell everyone how Owen is doing, but to tell you the truth, I don't really know!

With the official Pistons season kicking off at the beginning of the month (anyone hear about that AI trade?), Dan and I have been working A LOT!. As a result, we've had to outsource our parenting duties.

Thank God he loves daycare! I mean he LOVES daycare. He is getting to the point where he won't even say goodbye to us. He leaps out of my arms and runs downstairs to the other kids before I can even get a kiss. (Insert sad face here) Belive me though, I would rather have him run away from me with joy than cling to me crying. I would be a guilty wreck if I had to deal with that everyday.

We take him to an in-home daycare (Gennie's Little Tykes) and if I told you how wonderful this place is, you wouldn't believe me. He comes home at least once a week with art projects. I get a report card everyday of all the days activities including a down to the minute detail of all diaper changes (3 BM's yesterday at 12:59, 3:06 & 3:53 pm in case anyone is interested). The best part is that I can just tell that Gennie and the rest of the kids genuinely enjoy having him. When we drop him off, the kids run screaming to the door "Oboe!!! Oboe!!".
Oboe, somehow became his nickname at daycare. Even Dan and I call him Oboe sometimes. I suppose he could be called worse than a double reed musical instrument of the woodwind family. He could be nicknamed something terrible like "pea-brain" or "Shit-sandwich". That would not be good.

Owen's other parents are my mom and dad. They live 5 minutes down the road from me which would have been a horrifiying situation when I was 18. Now, however, it is an absolute life saver. It's nice having my mommy & daddy right down the road. Without my parents help, we wouldn't be able to work where we do and we couldn't even think about having a life!
Babysitters are expensive now!! I suppose it's justified. I am leaving my childs life in the hands of a teenager. I would be a little suspicious of a bargain basement babysitter. Our babysitter is WAY better than I ever was. She has taken classes at the Red Cross and made flyers to promote her services. She plays outside with Owen & takes him on walks. Holy Cow! When I was a babysitter, I used to turn on a video as soon as the parents left, plunk the kid down in front of it and will him to fall asleep early. I was not the best babysitter in the world. Anyway, Dan keeps saying we should just adopt an 18 year old girl to watch Owen. I think he's kidding. I hope. Pervert.

Back to my parents....

They of course love Owen and love having him. For Owen, the feeling is mutual. He loves being over there (even more than being home actually). I love the fact that my parents house will be come like a second home to him (hell, the way we've been working, maybe even a first home). It's a little bit sentimental for me to think that the house I grew up in will feel like a safe place for him too. Sniff, sniff ~tear~. Owen absolutely lights up when he sees my parents. It's like an "Oh boy! Here comes the fun!" type of look.

We are very, very, very lucky to have all the help we do. Dan's mom and day are always willing to watch Owen at a moment's notice. They live about 1 hour away so we don't get to see them as often as we would like. But Owen defintely loves it when we do.

So maybe someday we will be able to take care of our child on our own but not now. God, can you believe we are thinking about having another one?

PICTURES!
My baby sister's bachelorette party was a few weekends ago in Tampa. Here are the only pictures I can show you!

I bought Anne a tiara that said "Bachelorette". It was totally cheesy but Anne loved it! She but it the night before her party and didn't take it off until....well, I'm not sure she's taken it off yet. The last pictures I saw of her were on Halloween and she was still wearing it! Me, Anne and her best friend Bre Anne was the life of the party wherever we went. She tried her hand at lead vocalist for the band.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

You are very lucky to have your parents so close. Mine are the same way and Thomas loves going there. We are blessed as I know so many others that don't have that luxury or closeness with their family. BTW- I love Owen's haircut!

Unknown said...

I can't agree with you enough about how fantastic it is to have my parents 5 minutes away. They are an ENORMOUS part of my kids' lives, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Love the adorable video!

Kim said...

Ok so here is me at the computer hysterically laughing. This is why I need your blog. The shit sandwich comment made me laugh so hard. Also the 18 year old adoption and maybe someday you will take on caring for your child. You seriously make me laugh. I can only imagine us in a bar with a couple of glasses of wine. :-)
On to Owen-oh my God in that video with the bunny-adorable. I think you and your mom should try out for AI.
And you live down the street-I have now moved in with my parents. It's funny because I have not lived with them is years and now of course it only makes sense until I am offically admitted in Virginia with my law license, but I feel that my mom and Preston are two peas in a pod. I may have to keep him here.

Kim said...

Oh and Preston's jacket was from Osh Kosh. It is a zip up hoodie but a little bit heavier than some of the others he has. His height is all in his torso-which duh he's achon but in my family most of us got our height from our torso not our legs, so genetically he is going to get a long torso. So he grows out of tops quick, but cannot fill those sleeves...:-)

Greene Family said...

That is great that your parents are so close and so involved in Owen's life! The bunny video is adorable!!
You crack me up with the nicknames and adopting an 18 year old to take care of Owen!
It looks like you gals had a fun time partying!

Danielle said...

too funny! I love the bunny foo-foo video! And having grandparents near is great-We have both my parents and Keith's within 20 minutes of us and it makes everything so much easier! That's great he loves daycare. i think peyton would too, when i take Riley to school she tries to stay there!

Destini said...

I wonder how the kids came up with "Oboe", that is too funny! I love his video and his pictures with the dandelion! My parents live about 20 minutes away, and John always makes fun of me when he goes out of town becuase the kids and I pretty much move in with them!

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog (but not, I think, as awesome as your kid). Unfortunately, in Firefox the first part of the page is html. Looks great in Explorer though. Ah well, using a browser I don't normally is a small price to pay for being given a snapshot into the world you share with your family and friends.

Tonya said...

As always, your family is great!! I am jealous!! Oboe...Owen is a doll. Knoah misses him and wants to see him soon!

Becky said...

You are very lucky to have your parents so close. Mine are too, and I don't know what we would do if they weren't! Love the pics and the video is hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

Um..your sister is hot!!!

From???

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

From....my sister???

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

From....my sister???