Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Dog ate my homework???

Uuhh...ok, well, how about this one...I've fallen and I can't get up? No? Not good enough. Ok, this is should do it...I was trapped under something heavy for a month and couldn't update my blog! Still not good enough? Hmmmm...tough crowd. How about the truth? Sounds like and idea huh? OK, here it goes....

I was working alot and that combined with the holiday season, my sister visiting and a new obsession with vampire novels put the blog on the back burner. AAAAHHHHHH!!! And the truth shall set you free!

It's true. It's all true. I've been working a lot lately and come home too exhausted to blog. On my days off, I worked on a few Christmas projects for my family - photo gifts for my parents and a wedding video for my sister (which I will post with her permission). Anne came to visit at the end of the month and I spent every availble minute with her and Drew. Most embarrasingly, I was bitten (pun intended) by the Twilight bug and have been torn through 3 1/2 novels in 2 weeks. And even that was restraining myself. Katie, I know you are with me! Please come to my defense on this one!

Oh yeah! I found facebook too so I've been getting my blogging fix that way. However, I did realized that substituting a blog fix for facebook is like substituting a Sex in the City craving with the Golden Girls. So I'm back!

OK, enough with my flimsy excuses. On to the important stuff...Owen!

Owen has been great! I'm pretty sure he received the entire inventory of Toys 'R Us for Christmas but I suppose that's what grandparents are for.
He got a Fischer Price kitchen, a "laptop", a little people farm, a crash 'em up car game, a Tonka racing track, puzzles, books, a dinosaur that walks and growls, clothes, a ride on car, and a bunch of other stuff. He was really into it this year. Everytime we brought another present over to him, he would say "Ho Ho Ho!". It was hysterical! He loves all of his gifts but he's partial to the laptop.

Even apart from the gluttonous Christmas he had, he's going great! He's talking a lot more and picking up new signs. I don't know if everyone knows this but Owen is quite the little signer. He has about 30 signs and uses 10 to 15 of them regularly. Between his words and signs he expresses himself quite well. I can see however, how the terrible twos start though. His needs become more complicated and his language skills aren't quite as progressed. I can see when he starts to get frustrated. Usually, I just start wildly pointing to anything in his eye range and asking him if that's what he wants. It usually works. Hey...if it ain't broke...
My favorite sign he does is "salon". Make a gun with both of your hands and wave them next to your ears and that's the sign for "salon" (hey, don't look at me, I don't make the signs!). It's just such a random sign and it's hilarious to watch him wave his fingers around just to say "salon".

Owen is growing out of his clothes left and right and he's in some 24 month shirts! Can you believe it!? He's solidly in 12 month pants and may be moving to 18 months in a couple months. Hmmmm...gee...what else. Honestly nothing else has been that exciting. We are clicking along, working & playing when we can. I suppose I'll just get right to what everyone really wants which are the PICTURES!!!

But before that, accept my humble apologies for keeping everyone in the lurch for so long. I will update more often!

PS - Owen was a litte...er...constipated during the holiday season. Not a lot of smiles from the kid!

20 comments:

Mike Mallinson said...

First to comment! Woot! Owen is adorable as always, and the presents sound like a blast! Isn't it great when they start getting as much into Christmas as we are? My only question is - why does that little boy know the sign for SALON so well? Huh, mommy? He needs more football time! LOL

Thanks for the update!

Sarah said...

Cute post Cat! So glad we got to see Owen!! And you and Dan..but mostly Owen :) Sounds like he made out really well for Christmas. I feel like we could open a toy store between the toys upstairs and the ones in the basement too! That's great he's talking more and signing. I bet it's so cute. It's so much fun to watch them change and say things. By the way, I was absolutely obsessed with the Twilight series as well, thanks to Katie so I understand that! I read all four books in a week! Glad you are enjoying them. We are going to count on you for the more frequent post!

Destini said...

I totally forgive you, I understand the holiday craziness! Owen is as cute as ever and wow, sounds like he did aquire the entire toy store! Glad everyone is well, update when you can! If you haven't experienced it yet, just wait for the first temper tantrum!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Ok, so I guess we will forgive you since you posted some Owen pictures! I'm right there with ya sister on the Twilight books! I totally neglected everything in life...and umm...even a Cole a little bit...to finish those amazing books! Glad to have you back on board blogging mama! There is no substitute for the blog world...not even facebook you facebook fanatics! lol

Unknown said...

I'm glad you all are alive and well. Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday season with the family. And, after your enthusiastic plug for the Twilight series, I may just check it out!

Alex said...

It's good to hear that you guys are doing good! The holidays are just crazy, aren't they? I am glad we are back to normal!
Owen looks adorable!

mejane said...

Glad to have you back. We forgive you (mainly because I was bitten too and can sympathize). Owen is cute as ever, constipated and all. I'm not going near Facebook because my husband will file divorce papers, so you'll always have a loyal blogger here. We look forward to a new post soon!

Jaime said...

What a great post Cat! Owen is adorable, smiles or no smile! I have so many unread books on my bookshelf, but I am hoping to get bitten by this Twilight series as well. A friend of mine is going to loan me her book as soon as she finishes it. Sounds like Owen did pretty well in the presents department! Isn't it wonderful when the kids start getting into Christmas more and more! I love the fact that he's using sign language and still laughing about his sign for "salon." Caty used quite a bit of signs, now she just talks a mile a minute!

Kim said...

OMG! Look how big Owen got. Look at you too! Looking hot my friend. I think it is truly hilarious that he signs "salon" Look that is a very important word in my vocabulary so Owen can come hang with me anytime. And I am happy to hear Owen got everything he wanted. He is so handsome. Do you eat him up on a daily basis. I love facebook too so between Facebook and blogging I am the biggest loser in front of the computer! Glad you are back!

Unknown said...

Owen looks so handsome in his argyle sweater! Looks like you guys had a great Christmas. Happy New Year!

Danielle said...

As always...Owen is too cute for words! I love your family pic in front of the tree! And I'll forgive you for the Twilight excuse...when I read them it took me 2 weeks to read all 4. When I was done it was like, ok now what do I do with my time?? Then I remembered I had 3 kids :)
I'm glad your Christmas was great and that Owen loved his presents! Peyton got a laptop too, it's a favorite around here as well. So aren't you due to visit Anne sometime soon :)
Happy New Year!

Candace said...

I am a blogging friend that came across your blog a few months ago. I can honestly say, the Twilight bug is a serious one, and once you finish the last book, you will likely catch the bug again, and again, until you have read them several times. I had the same sickness... and they are awesome!!! I did the same thing, and completely ignored my blog for weeks while I was reading them. Also... facebook does have the same affect. You will be fine. Finish the last book and blog in the morning! Your new friend. :)

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Your comment about him getting the entire inventory of Toys R Us cracked me up!

Melissa Swartley said...

Great post! Sounds like Owen had a wonderful Christmas! He is so adorable as always, even without the smiles poor guy! "Ho Ho Ho" is too funny! I'll have to get into the Twilight series, it seems like everyone I know is reading those books! Woo hoo for signing! Way to go Owen! Sonya has just learned her first sign "milk" she must have been hungry! LOL!

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday to Cat! 31 years ago my baby girl was born and has been the light in my life ever since! Love you so much!!
Mom

Caden and Mommy said...

Cat!
You crack me up! Owen is so cute! I too think that Caden got the whole stinkin toys r us inventory for Christmas. Where do we put it all? Happy Birthday!
Trisha

Greene Family said...

Great photos - Owen is always so adorable!! I love your family photo in front of the tree! It sounds like Owen really made out this Christmas - I love the "Ho Ho Ho!" before each present! How exciting that Owen is talking more and has so many signs! I was so thrilled when Simon started signing a couple of months ago!
Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Wow! Finally pictures of Owen. Looks like he was a good boy with all the presents. He is adorable!

Tonya said...

Oh, how big he's getting!! He is going to be a head taller than Knoah! He's still in 3/6 month pants!!! Miss you and can't wait to see you guys!! I am thinking party soon!!!

The Wymers said...

Very cute pictures. Twilight is addicting, I know. I did the 4 books in 1 week. Not a lot of sleep in those days, but worth it! :o)