Thursday, November 1, 2007

Owen: Our Happy Halloweener!

Haha! I said Hallow "weener"! Hahahahah! (I know, I'm so immature. Can you believe someone up there gave me a kid?!). Another eventful week for Owen! I'm going to start with the bad and end on the high notes. Owen was back in the ER last Thursday night. He woke up at about midnight and sounded horrible. He had developed this strange cough that sounded like a barking dog. My extra sensory mother powers kicked in and I somehow knew that it was croup. I had never heard a croup cough before but knew that if I had, this is what it would sound like. Or maybe it's because when he coughed, it sounded like he was barking "CROUP! CROUP! CROUP!". He was having some serious difficulty breathing so we took him right in. That was scary. What scared us even more is that when we arrived at Triage, they admitted him right away. Everything turned out OK. They gave him a nebulizer treatment and a steroid shot and sent him on his way. Only problem now is that Owen is having angry tantrums and has developed a nasty case of back acne. Ha ha. Just kidding. No, the little guy is fine but did in fact have "the croup". Apparently it's going around. I find it funny in that Owen has a condition that may cause him medical problems for years to come, but he has somehow wound up in the Emergency Room twice for issues completely unrelated to achondroplasia! Weird. On to the funner stuff! Owen is progressing by leaps and bounds. He is eating some finger foods now and is developing quite a pincher grasp. He loves Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs! He seems to understand the function of a spoon and when given liberties, for the most part uses it correctly on his own. He is sitting up on his own for the most part and is constantly rasing his stomach up and down, up and down. The physical therapists say it's the first step to crawling. We say it looks like he's humping the floor. Owen is adding vowels and consentants to his babbling repertoire. "Booboobooboo" is the latest and just in time for Halloween! Still no mama :( It's OK. Dan has been comforting me by saying that Owen just doesn't love me. He's very close to waving bye-bye. He is constantly flapping his arms and grabbing his socks. He is becoming a little boy right before our very eyes. This week was full of fun stuff for Owen. He got to visit Grandma and Grandpa Wright twice this week!! He sure did miss them! The most exciting thing of all was HALLOWEEN! Owen's silly spider costume was a smash hit! Even he didn't seem to mind it. He sayed in his costume without complaining for almost 2 1/5 hours. Isn't he the silliest spider around?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's so CUTE!!!

I can't wait to shower him with kisses!!! Hey Cat, don't feel bad...Knoah REFUSES to say MAMA...HUFF!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

I love the spider costume!! My baby Cole was a pirate!

Anonymous said...

Hahah, so cute! Sorry about the cough scare!

Anonymous said...

so, so, so cute....
my, these boys are growning waaaay too fast.
so glad to hear the hospital stay was not long, and all is well. the breathing issues are the scariest.
I can't wait to meet all these beautiful boys in person. And to squeeze those adorable cheeks of Owen's!!!!

Candi
YaYa to Bryan

Lisa said...

My husband and I have an adorable little girl, Elizabeth who also has achondroplasia. She just turned 3 in June. I love looking at your Halloween pictures. Reminds me of when Liz was that age - though it wasn't really long ago. : )
If you ever want to e-mail, feel free to to do: liss_hidler@yahoo.com

Andy said...

That spider is so cute! What a beautiful boy he is!