Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Freight Train

Last Wednesday, Owen came down with the flu. It had been a virtual epidemic at his daycare, even causing them to shut down to stop it from spreading. Despite that, Owen got it.

So Owen was the Exorcist baby for a few days but seemed on the mend by the time his birthday came around on Friday. No big deal. His birthday was very low key - only 'Ama and Papa, Mom, Dad and Owen. We had pizza and cupcakes. We sang "Happy Birthday". Owen got a playdough kit and a train table from us and a shiny new Radio Flyer from his grandparents. We played with his new toys for a little and then my parents went home.

Then all hell broke loose.

DISCLAIMER: Read no further if stories of puking, dirty toilet deeds (done dirt cheap) and general bodily disgusting-ness is not your bag. You can just skip to the pictures. For those with a stronger stomach....

I started vomiting at around 9:00pm. Now, let's be honest here. I think most people have at some point overindulged in the good drink. We can all relate to the morning- after revenge your body takes on you. But you puke, you have a plate of Moons Over Mihammy and a gallon of coffee at Denny's and - Viola! All better. This was not the same scenario.

I wanted someone to put me out of my misery. Throwing up gave me no relief. I spent a good 6 to 12 hours wondering if I would ever feel good again. To make matters worse...my husband started his own vomit regimine about 3 hours after mine. Oh yeah - we have one bathroom!

We both somehow make it through the night. Owen wakes up the next morning - earlier than usual of course - and comes into bed with us. We stupidly give him the milk he asks for and whaddya know? H promptly throws it up in our bed. So now Dan and I, already nauseaded, have to clean up Owen's mess.

I go out into the kitchen to get towels and almost step in a big congealed pile of something on our floor. Our cat had thrown up. WHAT?! You've got to be kidding me?!

I go to call my mother to tell her about our awful night and she had already texted me "Uh oh. Papa's been puking all night." Now, I'm really starting to feel like I'm in a damn Stephen King novel. It's like the Superflu has hit and the end of the world is coming. I try desperately to figure out if I dreamt about a cornfields in Nebraska.

Luckily, the worst of the flu passed quickly for Dan and I. It lingered with Owen a bit but he's almost back to his cheerful self. I won't even go into the diapers that 1 week of the flu has given him. Unfortuately for Owen, his big day was overshadowed by the drama. Had we all been well, he would have had himself a nice little birthday.

The calm before the storm.

Owen's new thing - Playdough

A new bike!!! I can even touch!

Uuhhh...I'm 2. All I get is a measly cupcake?

Train table!!! Just what I wanted!

Hell yeah!

Papa knows what he's doing.

ChooChoo!

This is sweet.

Uuhh...guys? How the heck am I supposed to reach the middle of this table?

8 comments:

Charlene said...

We missed you at the Valentines party! It was a lot of fun!

Anyway hope you are all feeling better and Owen is back to his adorable self!

*You really should enter him into the Beautiful baby contest, he is sooo photogenic!

Tonya said...

Okay, so I am REALLY sorry that you all were sick!! However, it reminded me of the night Knoah went into the hospital and while were are being transferred by EMT to the ER, I start throwing up, violently. I figured they thought I was on something. It was horrible!! I so feel what you went through!!

I hope your feeling better now!! HUGS!

Danielle said...

LOVE the post! I'm so sorry you all got sick though, but it made for some entertaining reading. I've made the milk mistake myself with Laynie. Now when they have a stomach thing I'm afraid and deprive them of calcium for like two weeks.
I love the birthday pics...awesome train table! And I love the last pic - how can I reach the middle of the table? Peyton gets so frustrated with that now. Although she has a freakishly long reach for someone with such short arms!
I'm glad you are all feeling better and that overall Owen had a happy birthday!

Kim said...

Ugh! Cat that sucks. SUCKS! Ok first off we totally share a brain because i want to get Preston a train table but everytime we go to the store he gets Thomas stuck in the middle! So I bought him one of the train sets for the floor that he can keep quiet with. I think I will do the table this year. Love his little bike-super cute.
Sorry that the flu overshadowed his day. Love your reference to Moons of Mihammmy! Seriously dying over here.
Glad you guys are feeling better!

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear you all were so sick! What a bummer for Owen's birthday. But the pictures of the calm before the storm are adorable! Can you believe your baby is 2?? It just goes by so fast.

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Cole would be SOO jealous of Owen's train table. At the gym day care they have one just like that and he gravitates towards it every day!! I can't believe that Owen is 2 now! Seriously!! He is just so cute and I love his new ride! Sorry about the flu...that is awful!!

Caden and Mommy said...

Cat!
I love how you can make the flu funny! Your post makes me laugh! Having the flu SUCKS - then when everyone in the house has it - it makes it that much worse!!!! We experienced that earlier in the year and it SUCKS!!! Whose supposed to take care of who when we all feel like we are dying?!
Absolutely adorable picture of Owen - I can't believe how big boy he is, all grown up!
Trisha

Sarah said...

How'd I miss this post? I am so sorry you all were sick, but the way you wrote it was hilarious! I'm glad everyone is feeling better and love the pics of Owen. How cute! Looks like he made out pretty well!! Love the train table and bike! Will has a train table and LOVES it! I guess it's a boy thing :) Although Kaela likes to play with him sometimes. The bike is too cute. We have a little radio flyer that Will got for his first xmas, but it's real low to the ground and Kaela loves it!! Anyway- Miss you guys. Hope we get to see you soon!