Friday, February 8, 2008

One Year Ago Today

Today is not Owen's Birthday. Quite the opposite. Once year ago today we heard the words "Your son will die." It's a pretty emotional day for me. One year ago today: 10:00 am - Dan and I were getting ready to go to the doctor's office for an ultrasound. We were so excited. I was in my 38th week and couldn't wait to see how Owen was doing. 12:30 pm - By this time, Dan and I had seen Owen and were relieved that he was still a boy! Funny, but our biggest fear going into the ultrasound was that they had gotten the sex of the baby wrong. Dan left the doctor's office to go to work while I stayed for a check up with the doctor. When the doctor walked into the room and I was excited to talk about how the baby was doing. I quickly became alarmed by the look on her face. "Well," she said, "The ultrasound showed some abnormalities. Owen's arms, legs and chest, are measuring small. We are not sure what this means at this point so we would like you to see the perinatologist. We think that it would be best if you see her today." She told me that it would be a good idea to call my husband and have him come back to the hospital. 2:30 pm - I called my husband in a panic. "Something's wrong! Something's wrong!" I could barely talk through the sobbing. I thought to myself, what if Owen is a dwarf? That was the absolute worst thing I could have imagined. 'He look strange and people will make fun of him,' I thought. I didn't realize that it wasn't even close to the worst thing that could happen. I called my mother. I'll never forget the sound of her voice when I told her something was wrong. The wait to see the perinatologist was agonizing. When we were finally called in, the doctor did another ultrasound. The exact discussion was a blurr. I remember hearing "lethal" and some some term relating to his skeleton. Lethal. The severity of the situation dawned on me. "Will our baby die?". "Yes, your son will die." I remeber crying out. It was a primal, guttural cry. That's the only way I can describe it. It's the sound people make when their world comes crashing down. At 2:52 pm exactly one year ago, Dan and I thought our son would die. 7:00 pm - One year ago at this time, most of our immediate and close extended family had been told the devestating news. Everbody was as heartbroken as we were. My parents came over and cried with us. I had never seem as sad as on that day. Dan and I spent the rest of the afternoon alternating tears and silence. We bargained with God and promised that we would be better people if he let our son live. We prayed that our U of M appointment the next day would prove our diagnosis wrong.

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've been teary a couple of times this morning already myself. A couple of my coworkers were teary right along with me as we recalled that horrible day. Thank goodness we have our Owen. I can't imagine my life without him in it! I am also recalling the grace and dignity that you and Dan displayed throughout that whole ordeal. Owen is so lucky to have such a great Mom and Dad.

The ever grateful and very proud grandma!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Eww I got the chills! Owen is one big miracle! He's proving everyone wrong!

Anonymous said...

I cannot even begin to tell you how our stories are so similar. Here we are one year later for you-over two years later for me, with happy, healthy boys who are adorbale and guaranteed to keep us on our toes for years to come!
Hugs,
Kim & Preston

Sarah said...

Happy birthday Owen. What a wonderful miracle and story! I can't even imagine what you went through. We are so excited to meet you all!

Sarah said...

I guess it's not really his b'day- since he wasn't born this day...sorry I didn't think about it until right away...but what a sad day to look back on but also such a happy day to look and be able to see that cute little boy in front of you glowing and I'm sure amazing you every single day!

Candi and Skeet said...

I can only imagine how hard this day must be. I am dreading July
17th for the same reason. Owen is a beautiful miracle and I am so happy that your doctors were wrong.

Much love!
Candi

Tonya said...

Cat! You have been through quite a year!! I am so hoping we can come to his party!! Owen is a lucky boy to have a great mommy and daddy!!

Thank you for the love and prayers you have given us! Knoah is doing well!!

Hope to see you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cat...I remeber it like it was yesterday. Every time I think about the sound of your voice on the other end of the phone, I still to this day want to hop on a plane and come home to hug you. We are so lucky. Owen is such a blessing and I think he is the cutest thing in the world. I am so proud to be his aunt!! I am also so proud of you and Dan! I love you guys!

Love ~Anne

Anonymous said...

Cat and Jennifer,
Just stopping by to say hello.
It was so nice meeting both of you and Owen on Saturday. Hope to see you all again soon!

~Charlene~

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

Thank you for all the support! Anne, I don't know why, but I'm so happy you posted! Kim, how do I get a hold of you?
Love,
Cat