Monday, February 4, 2008

Movin'

And so it begins. Owen is officially on the move. Gone are the days when we could lay him in the middle of the floor and walk away. Gone are the days when our house seemed clean enough for a baby! Now that Owen is crawling around, everything on the floor is now on his clothes and let me tell you, I am horrified by the poor performance of our vaccuum cleaner (yeah...uuhh...it's the vaccuum cleaners fault). On that note, babies make surprisingly efficient mops. Anyways, Owen is crawling, crawling, crawling! He's still army crawling for now. Although, I have my doubts that he will ever get up on his hands and knees due to the simple physics of the whole thing. His legs seem almost too short to bend under. I'm becoming increasingly aware of certain looks that I'm getting when I tell people that Owen is crawling. "How old is he?" they ask. When I tell them he's almost a year, the "He's not walking yet?" look appears. I'm sure many other mothers whose child is not hyper-advanced has experienced this look (dare I say we have all given this look at one point as well?). I'm not too worried about it. It's just an observation. Occasionally, when I have the energy, I will let people know that Owen is a dwarf. Most of the time however, I will smile polietly and pretend to marvel at the fact that this person's 3year old speaks fluent Spanish. But I digress... He is babbling and moving and generally in a great mood all of the time. His year birthday is coming up and like most mothers facing this milestone, I can't believe it's been a year! I've been spending more time on the Parents of Little People Group site. I've meet some great people. One of those people is Sarah Laurin who lives in the Dexter/Ann Arbor area. Her daughter Kaela was born with Metatrophic Dysplasia, one of the most rare forms of dwarfism. She also has a blog that she has allowed me to share. The Laurins. She is just gorgeous! Owen has dibs! Just kidding (but not really). Up to no good Too early for braces? Goofball. Just like mom. Bad hair day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the crazy hair....its so good to hear from you, I've been checking daily and was just getting ready to send you a comment saying "what up?" I once saw a pic of a crawling stage baby in a onsie made of dust mop material, with all the little dust catchers hanging off everywhere. Ingenious!

Can you believe it has been a year already? It has been the BEST year, and it gets better every day!

Candi
YaYa to Bryan

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Ya for Owen!! Crawling is VERY exciting!! I've been waiting so patiently for an updated blog :) I'm not looking forward to the "huh?" looks when I tell people how old Cole is or where he is with milestones. I guess it's only natural for people to question it. I'm just so excited that Owen is able to get around on his own! I love the fact that I can leave Cole in one spot and he will be there (or around that area) when I get back. He's learned how to scoot on his back.

Happy 1 year Owen!! When's his actual birthday??

-Katie

Lisa said...

Gotta love the Army Crawl! It's the best. Go Owen! Liz ONLY did the army crawl. And, I remember people asking me, "When do you think she'll do the real crawl?"
I'd say: What do you mean? This is THE REAL Crawl. Try doing the army crawl on the floor for 10 minutes. It's not easy! And, why would kids do a "traditional" crawl, when the army crawl is more natural for them. Makes sense to me!