Friday, March 28, 2008

It's a Grandma Thing! / Guest Blogger Alert

Let's be honest here. It's pretty obvious that I have become way to big to write my own postings so I've decided to farm out the job. I was lucky enough to find someone who was willing to work for dirt cheap - my mother! What a sucker! So please give a warm bloggers welcome to my mother Jennifer
It’s a Grandma Thing!

I have been asked to be a guest blogger. Imagine that. I’m not sure if Cat is enabling my blogaholism or if she’s just riding out a streak of writer’s block but I’m going for it! Thus follows random Grandma Thoughts:

• Babies are miracles and in the past year my life has been twice blessed. Owen is spectacular! Drew is beyond wonderful! Can the goofy smile from reveling in their being become permanently embedded on my face? Only time will tell.

• Drew and Owen are so spectacular because their parents are doing such a great job. Hats off to Dan and Cat and Anne and Steve.

• I am inheriting the two best step-granddaughters ever. Alyssa and Carly are extra blessings.

• I love bullet points. Thank you to the Microsoft Word inventor who gave them to me and has allowed me to overuse them in so many documents both at home and at work. I will always revere you.

• Speaking of Microsoft…segue into computer then into internet. Isn’t the internet an amazing thing? The people I have met; the bonds I have formed; the stories I have shared; the tears I have shed; all while leaning over a keyboard and pretending I can type. The great big world has become much smaller. (No pun intended!).

• Are my office mates ever going to tire of my endless Grandma Grin? Will they band together and rip down the bulletin board that has fondly been named “The Shrine”? Will they unplug and pitch out the window the digital frame that has 350 pictures of Drew, Alyssa, Carly and Owen ceaselessly cycling for 8 hrs a day? Can I be fired for excessive grandmahood?

• It’s wonderful to share experiences and advice when you are the parent of a child who faces special challenges. I have seen some terrific support offered in this blogging circle. Outside the circle, while exploring other informative sites, I have found some advice to be judgmental and dare I say it, smug! There are folks who have come off to me as “know it alls” and have made hurtful and judgmental comments. Trust your instincts as parents. Know your children and be sensitive to their strengths and abilities. If it appears that they can handle a jumperoo or an exersaucer or even, GASP, an umbrella stroller, discuss it with your physician, listen to his advice and go with your gut. All children are different. Even our different children are all different.

• There are many NEVERS in parenting. Never leave your baby in the bathtub unattended. Never leave your baby unattended in a shopping cart. (Feel free to jump in here…) But, there are many, many gray areas.

• My husband; Cat and Anne’s dad; Owen, Drew, Alyssa and Carly’s grandpa; is the best.

• God Bless bullet points!

DISCLAIMER: The opinions of Ms. Merciez, do not necessarily reflect the view of "How Life Is Measured". Except for the part about Dan and I being great parents and the best. Thanks Mom!

7 comments:

The Johnson Family 5 said...

I always laugh when I come to your blog! Thank you Grandma Merciez (Jennifer) for all of your wondeful advice over these past 8 months! I think you and Candi should be our resident Grandma and YaYa! It's so wonderful finding such great people in this world and who would have thought it would have been through the internet! Thank you for being you!

Candi and Skeet said...

Jennifer! It is so great to see you blogging! ;) Your grandkids are very lucky to have you! And I feel very fortunate to have you (and of course Cat) as my friends~!

Much love,
Candi

Renay said...

Hmmm...do I smell your own blog coming to fruition (I dont know how to spell it but it's phonetic, which I also don't know how to spell)...very funny and sound advice, I mean who knew to not leave the kids unattended in the shopping cart...maybe that's why they fall out and bonk their heads;-) Seriously, do you really think God will bless bullett points? I think He will as long as He blesses my '...' and '~' compulsive usage:-) Thanks to Cat for allowing this special guest blogger:-) Where do I put in for my Grama of the year nomination???

Kim said...

Cat,
Now I have you and your mother cracking me up at work. Very very cute post. I love that you have a shrine Jennifer, because, my bulletin board and office are so jam packed with Preston one worker said to me, "you really need to display your son a little bit more." Hee Hee. Anyway Cat, I think the guest spot was a cool idea!
-Kim

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tonya said...

That's funny!! HOORAY JENNIFER!!!! Bullet Points! Short, sweet and to the point! RGMA for sure!! You have my vote!

BRYAN'S YAYA said...

Cat - now we know where that witty humor comes from. And now I know who to enlist when writers block strikes!

Jennifer - I should use bullets more often, maybe my rambling wouldn't sound so ADD like - oh look! there's a chicken! - now what was I saying?

Katie - I will be resident YaYa to Cole any day...I hope none of you are germaphobics b/c I can't wait to put some lovin' on all these cute kiddos some day!

Candi
YaYa to Bryan