Thursday, April 3, 2008

Call to Action!

In order to tell this story I have to spill the beans on my big addiction - reality TV! I can help it, I love it! Because of this addiction, I am a frequent viewer of Bravo TV because it houses some of my favorites such as Real Housewives, Millionare Matchmaker, Project Runway and Top Chef.

A few of months ago I wrote Bravo with a grievance about Project Runway. There was an episode in which the designers were asked to make a prom dress for high school girls. When they were receiving this assignment the girls were standing behind a transparent partition so that all you could see was their shadows. The program cut away to an interview with designer Kevin and he said that he wondered if he would be designing for "midgets". I was really shocked to hear that Bravo, whom I've always considered reputable, would allow this deragatory term to air. In my email, I took the approach that Bravo may simply be unaware of the terms offensive nature and I explained that it was a term that generally offended little people and their families. Needless to say I never received a response.

Flash forward to last nights episode of Top Chef. The chefs were asked to prepare dishes based on their favorite films. The team with the appetizer course chose Willy Wonka as their inspiration. One of the chefs wanted to serve the course as Ooompa Loompas and proceeded to do an impression of the characters on his knees. The show cuts away to an interview with Chef Dale who explained that Chef Andrew was doing an impression of the Ooompa Loompa midgets.

Now, to be fair, the Chef Dale did not seem to be in approval of the impression nor was the impression itself a big deal (it was about the characters and not of dwarfs in general). However, I am once again dismayed by the producers decision to include such casual use of an offensive term.

My one email obviously had no impact on the people at Bravo. I am asking my fellow bloggers and any family and friends who may be offended to write to Bravo about the use of the term. It doesn't have to be mean or nasty. I'm hoping that many simple letters explaining the offense will be powerful. I think it would be good for TV execs to know that there should be no place for the word on TV.

Here is the info:
First use of the term was on Project Runway, Episode 7 "What a Girl Wants". Air Date: Jan 9th, 2008
Second use of the term was on Top Chef, Episode 4, "Film Food", Air Date: April 2nd, 2008.
Contact Info:
Email: Bravo
or NBCUNI (I wrote to them, under heading Bravo) Write to:
NBC/Universal at

Bravo Viewer Relations
3000 W. Alameda Ave., Suite 250
Burbank, CA 91523

Let me know if you write!
Catherine
mother, blogger and newly appointed activist!

3 comments:

Renay said...

It's done, your fellow activist and blogging pal, Renay :-)

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

Thanks Renay! Here was my letter:
To whom this may concern,

This is my second letter regarding the use of the term “midget” on a Bravo TV program. My first email was directly to Bravo and to be fair, perhaps I did not contact the correct people to air my grievance. In the past 3 months two of my favorite programs Project Runway and Top Chef, have included casual use of the term midget. On Project Runway it was on Episode 7, "What a Girl Wants" (air date: Jan 9th) and on Top Chef it was on Episode 4, "Film Food" (air date: April 2nd).

My 13 month old son Owen has a condition called achondroplasia, the most common form of dwarfism. As I have become immersed in the wonderful community of little people, I have learned that the term “midget” is considered derogatory by most little people. I understand that reality programming is not scripted and therefore production should take no responsibility for things that cast members might say. I do however believe that it was an irresponsible decision by the production team to include interviews including the use of the word midget. As a vastly influential and respectable company, you can help en d the idea that this is acceptable terminology for little people by not including the word in programming .

I have included a link to my blog. I have asked that my fellow bloggers who also have children with dwarfism, to write Bravo or NBCUNI to express their displeasure.

I am a mother trying to make it a little easier for my son in a world that will already have many obstacles for him. I hope you understand and will help!

Thank you!

Catherine Wright

www.howlifeismeasured.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

I sent and email. I forwarded it to you.